Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

10/26/89 Elaine M. Paulan, v. Jeffrey Jett

October 26, 1989





545 N.E.2d 1377, 190 Ill. App. 3d 497, 137 Ill. Dec. 362 1989.IL.1694

Appeal from the Circuit Court of Du Page County; the Hon. John J. Nelligan, Judge, presiding.


PRESIDING JUSTICE UNVERZAGT delivered the opinion of the court. DUNN and REINHARD, JJ., concur.


The plaintiff, Elaine M. Paulan, was injured when she collided, while on foot, with a truck driven by the defendant, Jeffrey Jett. The plaintiff sued defendant in the circuit court of Du Page County to recover for the medical expenses, pain and suffering, and the disability she claims were the result of the accident. The jury returned a verdict of $300 in the plaintiff's favor for reasonable medical expenses, but awarded the plaintiff nothing for either her pain and suffering or her disability. The jury also found that the plaintiff's contributory negligence was a 50% cause of the accident. The plaintiff filed a motion for a new trial on the ground that the jury's verdict was inadequate as a matter of law because it ignored a proved element of damages. The trial court denied the motion, and the plaintiff now appeals. We affirm.

On October 15, 1983, both the plaintiff and the defendant were students at Hinsdale South High School, and both attended the school's homecoming football game that day. The parties agree that a collision between the plaintiff and the defendant's truck took place that afternoon and that the plaintiff suffered injury as a result. The accident occurred in the parking lot adjacent to the stadium either shortly before or after the end of the football game. The defendant was driving his truck through the parking lot, and the plaintiff was stopped to talk to her friends. At some point, the plaintiff turned to walk away from her friends and collided with the defendant's truck. She struck and shattered the truck's side-view mirror and was thrown to the ground.

At trial, the parties presented conflicting testimony regarding the cause of the accident. The plaintiff contended that she was standing in a pedestrian walkway when she turned and the side-view mirror of the defendant's truck struck her. She testified that the accident occurred before the end of the game and the traffic in the parking lot was light. Two witnesses substantially corroborated the plaintiff's version of events and added that the truck was traveling between 20 and 30 miles per hour just before the accident occurred.

The defendant testified that the accident occurred in bumper-to-bumper traffic after the game had ended. He stated that his truck was stopped when the plaintiff, who was running with her head turned behind her, ran into the truck. Two witnesses also substantially corroborated the defendant's version of events.

The parties also disagree as to the extent of the injuries suffered by the plaintiff. The plaintiff testified that, although she attended the homecoming festivities later that evening, she was in pain and her arm and knee were greatly swollen. She went to the emergency room at Palos Community Hospital the next morning and was prescribed pain-killing medication and fitted with a brace to immobilize her knee. In the 10 days following the accident, the plaintiff's family doctor, Dr. Thomas Driscoll, twice examined her. He continued the treatment prescribed at the hospital emergency room. The plaintiff stayed out of school for one week after the accident and wore the knee brace for two months thereafter.

The plaintiff's last visit with Dr. Driscoll concerning her knee took place on October 25, 1983. For almost 19 months after this date the plaintiff did not seek any medical care for her knee. During this time, the plaintiff testified, she was forced to give up a number of activities that she had previously enjoyed because of the condition of her injured knee. The condition of the knee, the plaintiff said, made it difficult for her to jump, and the knee could not withstand strenuous activities. She could not continue as a starting player on her high school's varsity volleyball team, and she also had to forgo playing any intramural high school sports. The knee continued to bother the plaintiff after she went away to college. She complained of stiffness and a grinding feeling in the knee when she engaged in certain activities. Playing volleyball, walking for a long distance or up stairs, and riding a bicycle would all tend to cause her knee to swell or ache.

On May 23, 1985, Dr. Driscoll referred the plaintiff to Dr. Thomas Regan for an examination of the knee. Dr. Regan X-rayed the knee and instructed the plaintiff on certain rehabilitative exercises. The following summer, in August 1986, Dr. Regan again examined the plaintiff. At about this time, the plaintiff decided to consult another physician about the possibility of surgery on her knee. She was referred to Dr. Albert Bunta, an orthopedic surgeon, who X-rayed the plaintiff's knee and examined the X rays taken previously by Dr. Regan. Dr. Bunta determined that the plaintiff's knee was not in need of surgery. He found no signs of either crepitation, which is a grating within the knee, or of chondromalacia, a softening or roughening of the joint cartilage.

Again the next year, in August 1987, the plaintiff decided to see another doctor because she was dissatisfied with the recovery of her knee. Dr. Michael Orth, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, examined the plaintiff and determined that the knee demonstrated both crepitation and chondromalacia. In his evidence deposition read at trial, Dr. Orth testified that the knee's condition was consistent with the plaintiff's complaints of pain. He told the plaintiff that if she could not live with the discomfort of the knee, then arthroscopic surgery was an option for her to consider. The defendant, however, introduced into evidence at trial the evidence deposition of Dr. Bunta in which he stated that the plaintiff's knee did not demonstrate crepitation or chondromalacia and that no surgery was warranted.

The plaintiff introduced evidence at trial to show that her medical expenses consisted of: $201.20 paid for her initial treatment at the emergency room; $77 paid to Dr. Driscoll for the examinations conducted a few days after the accident; and a total of $390 for the examinations by Dr. Regan, Dr. Bunta and Dr. Orth dating back to 1985. The ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.