Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

Newell v. Corres





Appeal from the Circuit Court of Cook County; the Hon. Charles E. Freeman, Judge, presiding.


In an action for medical malpractice, the circuit court directed a verdict as to liability in plaintiff's favor, upon which a comparative negligence verdict favoring plaintiff was reached. Judgment was entered and defendant appeals.

Defendant raises as issues whether: he is entitled to judgment n.o.v. or a new trial based upon evidence relating to proximate cause; and plaintiff's alleged refusal to submit to the accepted medical treatment for his jaw fracture is a circumstance affecting the applicable standard of care.

At trial, plaintiff called defendant as an adverse witness under section 2-1102 of the Code of Civil Procedure. (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1983, ch. 110, par. 2-1102.) Defendant, a specialist in plastic and general surgery, testified that on August 24, 1980, he saw plaintiff at Englewood Hospital, where he had been admitted the previous day with a fractured and malaligned left lower jaw. Defendant spoke to him for about 20 to 30 minutes and explained two alternative treatments for his injury. The first involved the use of arch bars, which are braces affixed to the teeth of the upper and lower jaw and then fastened together, bringing the teeth into normal occlusion (bite) and thereby aligning the fracture. Plaintiff said he didn't want his mouth to remain shut for the six weeks required if arch bars are applied. Defendant then explained the alternative treatment, whereby the fracture would be realigned and the fractured bone wired together surgically; if sufficiently stable, braces would not be needed. Plaintiff requested the alternative treatment.

According to defendant, arch bars, because they could be used with "no cutting" and are the "least invasive care," are the best form of treatment. The alternative method was acceptable provided the patient is kept in the hospital for one week, so that some bone healing can begin, and is closely supervised upon discharge. The alternative treatment permits the patient to open and close his mouth, and the jaw is thereby subject to reinjury; therefore, the patient needs to be "good" and must be "talk[ed] to." The written consent to the operation, signed by plaintiff, was for both "[p]ossible open or closed reduction of fracture of left mandible," because arch bars would have to be applied if the stability of plaintiff's jaw after surgery proved unsatisfactory.

Defendant testified that he performed the operation on August 25, 1980, using 26-gauge surgical wire. The operation record notes, however, that 28-gauge wire was used. Surgical wire is classified according to tensile strength; 22-gauge wire is stronger than 28-gauge wire. The next day he examined plaintiff and found his occlusion good. At 5 a.m. on August 28, a nurse at the hospital called defendant informing him that plaintiff was signing himself out of the hospital against medical advice. Defendant advised the nurse to tell plaintiff to call him the next day, but plaintiff failed to do so.

Called as an expert witness by plaintiff, Dr. Norman Trieger, doctor of medicine and dentistry and an oral surgeon, examined plaintiff on November 3, 1980. For patients with jaw fractures who have an adequate number of teeth, such as plaintiff, the "major effort" is to use closed reduction, specifically the application of arch bars, which are "the accepted and best medical approach to a fractured mandible." The next step, if closed reduction alone is insufficient, is open reduction "used in conjunction with the arch bars." In light of plaintiff's refusal of arch bars, the "best and most applicable" treatment would have been open reduction with wire fixation, along with a "lingual or plastic splint," because "you have to support that [open reduction with wire fixation] with something else." Had defendant used arch bars here, the subsequent displacement of the fracture would not have occurred. The treatment provided by defendant — open reduction using 26- or 28-gauge wire without arch bars — "is really not the standard of care" and subsequently "led to further problems including the need for further surgery." The treatment was inadequate to counteract heavy muscle forces, especially in a young, healthy male such as plaintiff with his degree of fracture.

Plaintiff, 28 years old at the time of trial, testified that on August 22, 1980, his jaw was broken when several men mugged him. He was admitted to Englewood Hospital the next day. Following his admission, defendant spent two to three minutes with him and told him an operation would be required to treat him. On cross-examination, plaintiff acknowledged that in his deposition he had said this meeting lasted 10 minutes. Defendant did not ask plaintiff then whether he wanted his mouth wired shut nor did he mention braces or arch bars. He also did not state how long plaintiff would remain hospitalized. Although his jaw was painful after the operation on August 25, the pain increased during the next two days. On August 27, the swelling of his face had increased, and he unsuccessfully tried to contact defendant through the nurses. On August 28, plaintiff signed a release form to check himself out of the hospital and went straight home to bed. He felt worse the next day, which was Friday. On Saturday, August 30, his father drove him to Cook County Hospital, where he was examined and X-rayed and told to return the following Tuesday to the oral surgery clinic. He remained at home all weekend and returned on Tuesday, September 2, to Cook County Hospital. He was advised then that "it would be very dangerous" for him to go back out in the street. He nevertheless went out, returning that evening, when he was admitted to the hospital. He did not object when told his mouth would be wired shut, and arch bars were put into his mouth. Upon his discharge from the hospital a week later, he felt "[l]ike a new person." About a month afterward, his jaw became swollen and he returned to Cook County Hospital, where he was again operated on, remaining there for a week.

The evidence deposition of Dr. Steven J. Traub, who in September 1980 was chief resident in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Cook County Hospital, was read into the record. He saw plaintiff initially on September 2, 1980, following his admission to the hospital. He diagnosed that plaintiff's fracture was displaced because of improper realignment of the bones; he disagreed with the Cook County Hospital radiologist's report which noted that the fracture appeared in "good position." He operated on plaintiff and found fracture displacement. Plaintiff was readmitted to Cook County Hospital on October 8, 1980, with a jaw abscess caused by infection of the fracture area. The abscess was surgically drained; six days later, another operation was performed to remove the surgical wires as a potential source of infection. Dr. Traub speculated that plaintiff's fracture could have been displaced after his release from Englewood Hospital, because "the fact that * * * [plaintiff] wasn't put in intermaxillary fixation [arch bars] leads to the most probable cause." The generally accepted procedure for jaw fractures is "maxillary and mandibular arch bars, followed by manipulation of the jaw into proper occlusion, and then intermaxillary fixation." In plaintiff's case, the correct treatment would have been to apply arch bars, X-ray the jaw, and then decide whether open reduction was also required. When asked what he would do if a patient refused arch bars, Dr. Traub replied, "I'd advise him to get somebody else to take his case."

Dr. Charles Janda, plastic surgeon and licensed dentist, testified as defendant's expert. After reviewing plaintiff's medical records and presuming his refusal of arch bars, Dr. Janda was of the opinion that, under the circumstances, defendant's treatment of plaintiff was "adequate." Although Dr. Janda would have used a wire thicker than 26-gauge, he felt it was "adequate enough wire to do the job." On cross-examination, he conceded that the procedure used was not the standard of care for fractured jaws in Cook County. For patients with teeth, the standard of care requires the use of arch bars, "the ideal way to do it." Confronted with a patient refusing arch bars, he would "back off" and suggest the patient "go elsewhere." Based on his review of Cook County Hospital records, he felt the subsequent procedures there were "unnecessary."

The circuit court granted plaintiff's motion for a directed verdict as to liability. The jury then assessed plaintiff's damages as $75,000, reducing this by one-third, the degree of comparative negligence found attributable to him. After denying defendant's timely post-trial motion to vacate, for judgment n.o.v., for a new trial, and for remittitur, the circuit court entered judgment for plaintiff in the amount of $50,000. This appeal followed.


Defendant initially contends that, because the record is barren of any evidence of proximate causation, he is entitled to judgment notwithstanding the verdict or to a new trial.

• 1, 2 The plaintiff bears the burden of establishing each element necessary to constitute a cause of action for medical malpractice (Burrow v. Widder (1977), 52 Ill. App.3d 1017, 1023, 368 N.E.2d 443), including the standard of care applicable to a physician's conduct, that the physician was negligent in light of this standard, and that this negligence proximately caused plaintiff's injury. (Borowski v. Von Solbrig (1975), 60 Ill.2d 418, 423, 328 N.E.2d 301.) Plaintiff sustains his burden by proving, generally through expert testimony, that defendant's breach of the applicable standard of care is more probably than not the cause of plaintiff's injury. (Borowski v. Von Solbrig (1975), 60 Ill.2d 418, 424; see First National Bank v. Porter (1983), 114 Ill. App.3d 1, 12, 448 N.E.2d 256; Burrow v. Widder (1977), 52 ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.