Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

Bromund v. Bd. of Fire & Police Comm'rs





APPEAL from the Circuit Court of Cook County; the Hon. ARTHUR L. DUNNE, Judge, presiding.


___ N.E.2d ___ Plaintiff, Mickey Bromund, appeals from an order of the circuit court of Cook County, which affirmed a decision of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the Village of Schaumberg (hereinafter Board) suspending plaintiff from his position as policeman for a period of 15 days. The sole issue presented for review is whether the decision of the Board is contrary to the manifest weight of the evidence.

We affirm.

Plaintiff, a police officer for the Village of Schaumberg, was suspended for five days after his supervisors learned that plaintiff received $100, allegedly as restitution, from a person plaintiff had arrested. Plaintiff was found to have violated two rules of the police department — Rule 37, regarding conduct which brings discredit upon the department, and Rule 43, regarding acceptance of money as a gift, fee or reward. Plaintiff appealed to the Board to reverse the suspension. The following evidence was adduced at a hearing before the Board.

Plaintiff testified that on September 7, 1976, he observed an automobile travelling at a high rate of speed and committing several other traffic violations. Plaintiff attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver would not stop. When the vehicle parked in a driveway, plaintiff approached the driver, Carl Gallo, and asked to see his driver's license. Gallo pushed plaintiff against the automobile and then as plaintiff attempted to handcuff Gallo, plaintiff fell and hit his left shoulder on the fender of the automobile. Plaintiff then arrested Gallo, took him to the police station and charged him with battery, resisting arrest, eluding, speeding and reckless driving. A companion of Gallo was arrested also and charged with resisting arrest. Plaintiff then went to Northwest Community Hospital where a doctor examined his shoulder. The doctor gave plaintiff a written excuse from work for three days. The doctor bills were paid by the Village. Plaintiff testified that he was actually excused from work for two days, September 8 and 9, since on September 10 he began his vacation, which ran to September 21, 1976. Plaintiff wore a sling on his arm for four days but had pain for about three weeks. He returned to work on September 22, 1976. Plaintiff testified that in September 1976 he had been employed part time as an undercover security agent for Woodfield Mall. Plaintiff normally worked 8 to 12 hours per week earning $4 to $4.50 per hour. After the incident with Gallo, plaintiff could not work as security guard for three weeks because his arm was injured. He returned to the part-time work on September 29, 1976.

Plaintiff testified that on September 22, 1976, he attended a pretrial conference concerning the Gallo case. Assistant State's Attorney Farmer, together with Gallo's attorney and the co-defendant's attorney, were all present at the conference. Prior to the conference, plaintiff told Farmer that he had lost about $100 in wages from his part-time work, and Farmer told plaintiff he would receive restitution. During the pretrial conference the attorneys discussed a proposed disposition of supervision and a fine. Farmer asked plaintiff for his opinion, and plaintiff replied that he felt it was a fair disposition. The question of restitution was not discussed at the conference. The attorneys then appeared before the judge, and all the charges except eluding were dismissed, and Gallo received one-year supervision, a $50 fine and $5 court costs. The question of restitution was not discussed before the judge. After the court approved the disposition, Gallo's attorney gave plaintiff $100, and plaintiff informed his court sergeant of the disposition, including the restitution. Plaintiff did not state in his case report that he had received $100 as restitution.

Plaintiff testified that he was not aware of a written memo or department rule requiring the presence of a court sergeant at pretrial conferences. Plaintiff was aware of a provision in the training manual stating that presence of a court sergeant is preferable, but plaintiff did not interpret this provision to require mandatory presence of the court sergeant, especially since more than one conference was usually held at the same time. Plaintiff followed the recommendation of the State's Attorney in the Gallo case.

Carl Gallo testified that he was arrested on September 6, 1976, by plaintiff and charged with battery, resisting a police officer, fleeing, reckless driving and speeding. On September 22, 1976, he was scheduled to appear in court regarding the charges. Prior to appearing in court Gallo was advised by his attorney that a pretrial conference had been held with the State's Attorney, and that if Gallo paid $100 to plaintiff, all the charges would be dismissed. Gallo was told that the $100 was not a bribe but was to pay for plaintiff's loss of work. Gallo's attorney advised him to pay the $100 since he could be fined up to $1000 and a year in jail if he went before the judge. Gallo then appeared before the judge, and the State's Attorney explained that all the charges, except eluding, would be dismissed. Gallo was fined $50 plus $5 for costs for the eluding charge and placed under court supervision for one year. The court was not advised of the $100 paid to plaintiff. Gallo's attorney paid plaintiff $100 in the hallway outside the courtroom. Gallo testified that he did not strike plaintiff on September 6, 1976, and that he felt he was buying his way out of the charges.

Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Farmer testified that he was assigned to prosecute the Gallo case. Farmer spoke to plaintiff before the case was called and was informed that plaintiff had lost three days work as a result of an altercation at the time of Gallo's arrest. Plaintiff did not state the nature of the work or hours but stated he lost approximately $100 in wages. At a pretrial conference, Farmer and Gallo's attorney agreed that certain charges would be dismissed, that Gallo would enter a technical plea of not guilty to resisting arrest and pay plaintiff $100 for loss of wages, and that Farmer would recommend supervision for one year and a monetary fine. The court was advised of the disposition, except for the $100 paid to plaintiff. Farmer testified that the court sergeant was not present at the conference and was not advised of the proposed disposition. Farmer testified that in September 1976 the State's Attorney's office did not have any stated policy concerning restitution to police officers, but that on December 23, 1976, a bulletin was issued by the district supervisor that restitution should be given only for tangible items that are provable. Farmer testified further that under a statute which became effective August 2, 1976 (Ill. Rev. Stat., 1976 Supp., ch. 38, par. 1005-6-3), it was fair to say that any restitution should be approved by the court. Farmer stated that he did not inform the court in the Gallo case because he "probably" wanted to expedite the matter or because of his own neglect. Plaintiff was paid the money in the courtroom after the matter was disposed of, but Farmer did not remember whether the judge was present.

Royal Desmond testified that he was a police officer for the Village of Schaumberg for 4 1/2 years and he also worked as a security agent at Woodfield Mall. Desmond was responsible for scheduling hours for the part-time employees. During the first week of September 1976, plaintiff notified Desmond that he would not be able to work because he had been injured on a police call; therefore Desmond did not schedule plaintiff to work for two to four weeks. Desmond testified that he was not aware of any rule in existence in September 1976 which required the presence of a court sergeant at pretrial conferences. Desmond had received restitution in one instance for a pair of torn trousers and a broken badge. The court had been informed of the restitution.

Robert Loftus testified that he was the director of security for Woodfield Mall in 1976. Plaintiff's employment records for September 1976 indicated that plaintiff called on September 7, 1976, to say that he would not be in and that plaintiff did not report again until September 29, 1976.

Lenore Bromund, plaintiff's wife, testified that plaintiff came home from work on September 8, 1976, with his arm in a sling. Plaintiff lost a couple of days from work as a police officer and was off for three weeks from his part-time work due to his injury.

Police Lieutenant Alvin Herzfeld testified that in September 1976 plaintiff was under his command. Lieutenant Herzfeld saw plaintiff on September 12, 1976, at which time he learned of plaintiff's injury. Lieutenant Herzfeld first learned of the restitution paid to plaintiff on October 13, 1976, when he was told by the police chief that the department may have been involved in a bribe. The chief instructed Lieutenant Herzfeld to investigate the matter. Lieutenant Herzfeld spoke to Gallo, and Gallo said he thought the payment was a bribe. On November 1, 1976, Lieutenant Herzfeld had a conversation with plaintiff in which plaintiff stated that he lost time at his part-time job and that he received $100 as restitution to cover the inconvenience of the injury and his lost time on his vacation and part-time job. Lieutenant Herzfeld testified that the policy of the department in September 1976 concerning restitution was that an officer could receive restitution for loss of tangible items only and only with approval of the court sergeant and the office of the chief of police. This policy had been in effect since 1967. It was Lieutenant Herzfeld's opinion that plaintiff's acceptance of the $100 diluted the effectiveness of the criminal court system and cast a bad reflection on the police.

Sergeant Daniel Coursey testified that he served as court sergeant on September 22, 1976. Plaintiff did not advise him that a pretrial conference was to be held and did not advise him of the proposed disposition prior to appearing before the court. After the case was heard, Sergeant Coursey approached plaintiff, and plaintiff informed him of the disposition, including the restitution. Plaintiff did not state the nature or amount of the restitution. Sergeant Coursey did not inform Lieutenant Herzfeld about the restitution because he assumed it had been approved by the court. Sergeant Coursey testified that a court sergeant was to attend pretrial conferences if possible, but that it was not unusual for a pretrial ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.