Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

People v. Mcclellan





APPEAL from the Circuit Court of Cook County; the Hon. WILLIAM COUSINS, JR., Judge, presiding.


Following a jury trial, defendant, Henry McClellan, was convicted of unlawful delivery of a controlled substance, heroin. He was sentenced to a term of five to 15 years in the penitentiary, to run consecutively to a sentence received on a previous unrelated offense. On appeal, defendant contends: (1) that the delay of eight months between the alleged unlawful delivery and the return of the indictment against him operated to deprive him of due process; and (2) that the trial court abused its discretion when it granted the jury's request and permitted the court reporter to read the complete testimony of one of the State's witnesses to the jury after the jury had indicated that it was deadlocked.

On September 27, 1976, defendant was indicted for unlawful delivery of a controlled substance, heroin. The occurrence allegedly took place on January 21, 1976. Prior to trial, defendant moved to dismiss the indictment on the ground that the preindictment delay denied him due process.

The trial court conducted a hearing on the motion, at which defendant testified that he could not recall the events of the day of the alleged offense. All he could remember was that he was living in a hotel at 6215 South University, Chicago, Illinois, and that he was receiving general assistance. He stated that he seldom went out, and that he did not believe that during the winter he was ever in the vicinity of the parking lot where the offense allegedly occurred, at 35th and Giles in Chicago. He did not learn of the indictment until October 14 or 15, 1976, while imprisoned in the penitentiary. He stated that he was not able to call any friends with respect to preparation of a defense.

Carlton Williams, an investigator for the public defender's office, testified on behalf of defendant. He stated that he went to the A & P grocery store at 35th and Giles and spoke to the store manager, but he was not the manager on the day of the alleged offense. Williams testified that he tried to question several people on the street and in the store parking lot, but no one would talk to him. He stated that he was unable to find out anything about the events that occurred in the parking lot on January 21, 1976.

Taylor Robinson, the manager of the store at 35th and Giles, testified that he knew nothing of the events in question as he was not the store manager at the time. This completed the testimony at the hearing, whereupon the trial court denied the motion to dismiss.

At defendant's jury trial, Armeatha Poole testified that on January 21, 1976, she was a Chicago police officer assigned to investigate narcotics sales in the Chicago schools. Her specific duty was to act as an undercover officer and to buy narcotics from dealers in the area.

On January 21, 1976, Officer Poole and her partner, Officer Margaret Phifer, parked their car in the A & P parking lot at 35th and Giles in Chicago. Officer Poole left her car and approached a car parked near the building and occupied by four men. She went to the passenger side of the car and had a conversation with an individual identified by her as defendant. Officer Poole asked the individual if he had seen another person from whom she had previously purchased narcotics. When he said that he had not, Officer Poole told him that she wanted to buy an "eighth," a specific amount of narcotics. When the individual identified as defendant said that he "could handle it," Officer Poole gave him $30; he handed the money to the driver of the car, who in turn gave him a sealed envelope which he gave to Officer Poole. Officer Poole took the envelope to her car and drove to Youth Headquarters where she inventoried the envelope and placed it in another envelope which she signed, sealed, and gave to Officer Stubblefield.

On cross-examination, Officer Poole stated that she began her undercover assignment in July of 1975 and was still working that assignment at the time of trial, in January of 1977. She testified that during that period she made approximately 150-175 purchases of narcotics, which she recalls with the help of reports. Although she made numerous purchases in the area of 35th and Giles, only one was made in that parking lot. She described the car that the four men occupied as a blue Chevrolet, but she was uncertain as to the particular year or model. She testified that on the day in question she had a backup team consisting of two other police cars in a position to see the parking lot. Officers Paul Stubblefield and Magnus Burney were in one of these cars during the parking lot purchase.

Officer Burney testified that on January 21, 1976, his assignment was the detection of drug traffic in the Chicago schools. On that day, Officer Stubblefield and he observed a purchase of narcotics by Officer Poole in a parking lot at 35th and Giles. He watched Officer Poole go up to a car which he described as a "white over blue" Chevrolet that he believed to be a Monte Carlo. He saw Officer Poole engage in a conversation with the four men in the car, and then return to the unmarked car in which Officer Phifer was sitting. Officer Burney then received a radio message and instructed Officers Willand and McCall, who were parked a block away, to stop the car containing the four men. Officer Burney followed the blue and white Chevrolet and observed that no one got in or out of the car up to the time it was stopped at 40th and King Drive by Officers Willand and McCall, who then approached the car and conversed with the occupants.

On cross-examination, Officer Burney testified that he has been engaged in this type of work since October of 1974 and has witnessed approximately 250-300 buys, 30 or 40 of which took place in the vicinity of 35th and Giles. Although another buy may have taken place in that location on the same day, he remembered this purchase after reading over his report. The report did not state that he watched the sale, but he specifically remembered watching it. He did not hear anything that Officer Poole or the men in the car said. He testified that he never had a clear view of the occupants of the car as he remained about a half block away during the incident.

On redirect examination, Officer Burney testified that under the heading "assisting officers," his report contained his own name and the names of Officer Stubblefield, his partner in the car that day, and Officers Willand and McCall, the officers who made the stop. On recross, he testified that under the heading "person wanted," his report contained the names of defendant and another man. He stated that although the car was stopped five blocks away from the scene of the purchase, the individuals were not arrested until months later. He also stated that the first time he testified with regard to the alleged events of January 21, 1976, was on September 16, 1976, before the grand jury.

Officer Frank McCall testified that on January 21, 1976, Officer Willand and he were working as a backup to an undercover police unit on 35th Street. He received instructions to stop a car pulling out of a parking lot on 25th and to ascertain the identity of two males in the front seat. He followed the car to 40th and King Drive and stopped the car, observing that no one got in or out. Officer McCall identified defendant as the man in the front seat on the passenger side. Officer McCall asked the man for identification; the man produced identification bearing defendant's name and picture and gave as his address 6215 South University, defendant's address. Officer McCall testified that the man in the front passenger seat was older than the other occupants. It was stipulated that defendant was 50 years old at the time.

Elizabeth Olson, a chemist for the Chicago Police Department, testified that on January 22, 1976, her supervisor gave her a sealed envelope bearing the name of Officer Poole. She conducted a series of tests which revealed that the substance contained in the envelope was heroin. The parties stipulated to the chain of custody of the ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.