Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

In Re Hurley





APPEAL from the Circuit Court of Du Page County; the Hon. ROBERT A. NOLAN, Judge, presiding.


Respondent, Hildegard Hurley Fay, appeals from the circuit court's order which terminated her parental rights to her children, Lisa and Robert Hurley, appointed the Department of Children and Family Services as guardian of the minors with authority to consent to their adoptions, and vested custody of the children in the father, Frederick Hurley. Respondent claims that the order is against the manifest weight of the evidence.

Respondent was divorced in 1971. In 1972, upon reports from school officials and others concerning the well-being of the respondent's five children *fn1 and on the recommendation of the Du Page County Probation Department, the State's Attorney filed a neglect petition pursuant to the Juvenile Court Act. (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1969, ch. 37, par. 702-4(b).) Youth warrants were issued and the children were removed from the respondent's home. At a detention hearing the next day, testimony, some of which was hearsay, indicated that the respondent had not sent one of her children to school, had not provided proper medical care for one child, and was leading a nonexemplary life in that she used profanity in the children's presence and had had trouble with the police. There was no evidence that the children were physically abused or suffered from malnutrition.

The court held that probable cause existed to support a finding of neglect and ordered the children removed from respondent's custody. Respondent did not appeal the court's order. (The children, Lisa, 8, and Robert, 4, were placed in a foster home and have remained there throughout this case.) During the next two weeks, the respondent reportedly threatened to harm the children's custodians. As a result, the court entered a protective order which prohibited respondent from contacting the children or the foster parents except through the probation officer or her attorney. In March, 1973, following a hearing, the court found Lisa and Robert to be neglected minors and made them wards of the court. At the dispositional hearing in May, 1973, the court found the respondent unfit to have custody of the children in that she failed to maintain a reasonable degree of responsibility as to each child's welfare, and had engaged in misconduct toward each child by failing to control her impulses in their presence. The court also found the natural father, Mr. Hurley, to be unable to assume custody. Guardianship was placed in the Department of Children and Family Services (the Department). In addition, the court reinstated its protective order and directed the respondent not to contact the foster parents or any other person charged with the care and treatment of the children without approval of the Department's caseworker.

On August 29, 1973, the foster parents petitioned the court for guardianship of the children, alleging that the Department had failed to exercise its position as guardian, and requested that the respondent be permitted supervised visits with the children. On September 7, the court ordered the Department to provide, within five days, a schedule of visitations for the respondent, and further ordered that should the respondent fail to attend scheduled visitations without giving the caseworker notice in advance, no more visits would be permitted until ordered by the court. On October 26, 1973, the respondent petitioned the court to force the Department to show cause as to why they should not be held in contempt for failing to provide the ordered schedule of visitations. The petition stated that on two occasions since the order was entered, the Department had been so indecisive about the time and place of the visits that the respondent had been unable to meet with the children.

In May of 1974, the Department petitioned the court seeking to terminate its guardianship responsibility, and requested that guardianship be placed in the natural father, Mr. Hurley, with custody to remain in the foster parents. Three months later, Mr. Hurley filed a petition requesting the court to terminate his parental rights as to the minor, Robert, and to appoint a guardian with power to consent to the adoption of the child. That same day, Mr. Hurley filed his answer to the Department's petition and refused the Department's offer to serve as Robert Hurley's guardian. No immediate action was taken on these petitions.

Finally, on October 24, 1974, the State's Attorney filed a petition pursuant to the Juvenile Court Act (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1973, ch. 37, par. 705-9) to terminate the parental rights of both the respondent and the natural father. At the termination hearing, Mr. Hurley sought the custody and guardianship of Lisa, but did not contest the petition for termination of his parental rights as to Robert. Respondent sought custody of both children. The court heard testimony from the foster mother (Judith Probeck), four caseworkers, Mr. Hurley, respondent's mother, and the respondent.

Mrs. Schnabel, a Du Page County probation officer assigned to the case from October, 1972, to July, 1973, testified that, immediately following the removal of the children from respondent's custody, they were placed together in a foster home because Robert did not want to be separated from Lisa. She stated that visitations were scheduled at the respondent's request, but all visits had to be held at the probation department office because of the court order restricting respondent's contact with the children. Visits were scheduled three or four times a month during this period. Respondent was present at each visit, unless she had, in advance, informed the caseworker she could not make it. At times the respondent expressed her irritation at having to visit the children in the probation department environs. Mrs. Schnabel testified that she did not encourage respondent to visit the children more often, but that she set up the visitations whenever the respondent requested. According to Mrs. Schnabel, the respondent gave the children presents at Christmas, 1972, and that on almost every visit, she brought the children small gifts. Respondent sent the children cards and letters fairly often, and called Mrs. Schnabel frequently. At Easter, respondent gave $10 to buy shoes for Lisa. When asked if she had a recommendation for the children's further placement, Mrs. Schnabel responded only that they should remain together.

Ms. Kyle, of the Department of Children and Family Services, was the next caseworker assigned to the case, working on it from May, 1973, to April, 1974. During this period about 12 visits were scheduled with the children at respondent's request. The witness testified that the respondent attended three or four of these scheduled visits, though in a report filed with the court on May 7, 1974, the witness stated that the respondent attended two-thirds of the scheduled visits. The other visits were cancelled by the respondent for various reasons including lack of transportation. The witness testified that respondent found the visits to be emotionally hard. Respondent attended some counseling sessions with the agency. She attempted to come up with plans to obtain custody of the children, but never followed through with them, and told the caseworker that she felt the initial decision of the court, removing the children from her custody, was unjust, and she could not see proceeding with plans as long as there was court control of the situation. Ms. Kyle felt that the respondent was sincere in this statement. The witness said she encouraged respondent to see the children more often, but was not very successful; that the respondent spoke with her on the phone at least once a week inquiring about the children's well-being; and that she had a phone number where she could contact the respondent. The respondent gave the caseworker gifts to be passed on to the children about once every four months, and also sent the children cards and letters. During the latter part of the year Ms. Kyle worked on the case, the respondent had obtained employment and appeared to be making progress economically.

Craig Hjorth served as a caseworker from April, 1974, to October, 1974. He testified that respondent would call him once a month and converse for an hour or so about various matters, and that at one time she indicated she did not want any further involvement. During this five-month period, Hjorth was unable to contact respondent because respondent gave him no address or telephone number. He did not know whether respondent saw the children or gave them gifts during this time. The foster mother testified, however, that respondent visited with the children at the respondent's mother's home once during that summer.

Irene Birks, who succeeded Hjorth in October of 1974, testified that she had no problem contacting respondent during the remainder of the year. After the petition to terminate was filed, respondent requested that visitations be arranged. She visited with the children at the foster home without supervision in October and November, 1974, and sent a card to the children after the October visit. She again visited the children in November and December, although this time the visits were supervised. A visitation was scheduled for Christmas, 1974, but respondent did not attend. She did, however, visit her children at her mother's home on New Year's Day. Ms. Birks said she encouraged respondent to see her children and she felt the encouragement was successful.

The foster mother, Judith Probeck, stated that the respondent was not supposed to visit the children at her home because of the prohibition of the court order, but that, despite the court order, respondent visited the children in the foster home several times. The foster mother testified that respondent attended about half of the scheduled visits between October, 1972, and December, 1973. During the children's stay at the foster mother's home, Lisa stayed at her aunt's house on a number of weekends and visited her father, who lived several blocks away in an apartment. When Mr. Hurley picked Lisa up at the foster home on weekends, he seldom visited with Robert. Mrs. Probeck's testimony indicated that despite Mr. Hurley's interest and concern for Lisa, he showed little or no concern, love or affection toward Robert during this period. Robert accompanied Lisa to Mr. Hurley's sister's only once, and though he asked to go with Lisa on other occasions, Mr. Hurley refused. Mrs. Probeck testified that Mr. Hurley's sister felt badly that Robert could not accompany Lisa, but that Mr. Hurley had told his relatives not to let Robert visit them. Mrs. Probeck said she spoke to the children about the possibility of being separated, and that both children were very upset at such a prospect. Lisa told Mrs. Probeck that Robert was all she ever had.

Respondent testified that she believed she should have custody of Lisa and Robert because she was their mother. She said she had made arrangements with her mother to take custody of the children until she was ready to assume the responsibility, but that she could not stay with them because of a disagreement between her and her mother. Respondent's mother confirmed this tentative arrangement. The respondent was employed as a hairdresser between April of 1974 and August of 1974, and had worked as a security officer from October, 1974, to the time of the hearing. She stated that her visits with the children were hard on them because they became upset when she had to leave without them. Respondent believed the Department could have contacted her at any time; that she had always called them; and that they never called her. Respondent was on probation for 2 1/2 years, had just been released, and had not been arrested since being placed on probation.

Mr. Hurley testified that he was engaged to a 23-year-old woman and planned to marry her the week after the hearing. He was employed by a utility company for 22 years and worked part time as a bartender. He testified that he had visited Lisa 10 times during 1973 and 15 times during 1974, picking her up at the foster home on Friday and bringing her back on Sunday. Mr. Hurley stated that he believed he was a fit person to have the custody of Lisa and that his fiancee expressed no hesitancy about his obtaining custody and guardianship of her, but that he did not ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.