Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

People v. Mcghee

MAY 28, 1974.




APPEAL from the Circuit Court of Cook County; the Hon. KENNETH R. WENDT, Judge, presiding.


Defendants, James McGhee and Rochester Lowe, were indicted for battery, resisting arrest and aggravated battery. After a bench trial, they were found guilty of aggravated battery. *fn1 Defendant McGhee was sentenced to 2 years' probation and defendant Lowe was sentenced to 5 years' probation, with the first 90 days to be served in the Work Release Program of the Cook County Department of Correction. On appeal, defendants contend that they were not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and alternatively defendant Lowe contends that his sentence is excessive.

On May 30, 1970, at approximately 4:30 A.M., Chicago Police Officer Edward Meany stopped a car driven by McGhee at 95th and Oakley streets in Chicago. Meany testified that he observed McGhee speeding and that he followed his car for approximately 8 blocks in a westerly direction before McGhee pulled over and stopped. McGhee got out of his car and Meany asked him to produce his driver's license. While McGhee unsuccessfully attempted to locate his license, Meany smelled a strong odor of alcohol. At that point another car driven by Lowe pulled up behind the police squad car and Lowe exited his car and walked up to Meany and McGhee. Lowe told Meany that he could not give McGhee a ticket, whereupon Meany ordered Lowe from the scene. Lowe refused to leave and Meany walked back to the squad car and radioed for assistance.

Approximately 30 seconds later, plainclothes officers Thulis and O'Donnell arrived on the scene in an unmarked car, and they proceeded to order Lowe from the scene. Lowe then left and McGhee was arrested and handcuffed and transported in a police wagon to the 6th District police station. Officer O'Donnell testified that when he and Officer Thulis answered Meany's call, he observed Meany and both defendants arguing. Officer Thulis testified that he observed defendant and Meany speaking, and that he told Lowe that McGhee was going to be arrested and taken to the 6th District station. The remainder of Officers O'Donnell's and Thulis' testimony is substantially identical to Meany's. Meany followed the wagon to the station, Thulis drove McGhee's car to the station and O'Donnell left the scene in the unmarked police car.

Defendant McGhee testified that he was at a party from 9 P.M. until approximately 3:45 A.M. on May 30, 1970. At the party he had drunk only one beer. He left the party in his car and his friend Lowe, who had also been at the party, followed in his car. They were driving in an easterly direction when he observed Meany following with the squad car's blue light and spotlight turned on. He pulled over to an island on the left side of 95th Street and got out of his car. Lowe pulled up to the curb side of the street, and walked over to where he and Meany were standing. He could not find his license in his wallet, although on cross-examination he admitted that the license was in his wallet. When Lowe walked up to him, he asked Lowe to check with his wife to see if he had left it at home. Before Lowe said anything to Meany, Meany walked back to his car, and within 3 or 4 minutes more police arrived and Lowe was told to leave the scene. Meanwhile Meany told McGhee that he was under arrest if he could not locate his license; he was then handcuffed and placed in the wagon. On redirect examination McGhee testified that Meany never stated why he was being arrested.

Defendant Lowe testified that he has known McGhee for approximately 18 years. On May 30, 1970, he left the party and followed McGhee in his car. He was not under the influence of alcohol and he did not see McGhee drink at the party. His car and McGhee's turned onto 95th Street and they proceeded in an easterly direction. At 95th and Halsted Streets he observed Officer Meany driving behind him, pass him and pull McGhee over. He parked his car, and as he walked up to McGhee and Meany, Meany walked back to his car and a couple of minutes later more police appeared. McGhee told Lowe to call his wife. When one of the detectives told him to leave the scene, he returned to his car and followed the wagon to the police station.

Officer Meany testified that McGhee was brought into an interrogation room at the station, and was seated at one of the tables in the room. Meany was seated at another table and began writing McGhee's tickets and his report on the arrest. Meany and Thulis testified that Thulis was also in the room. Lowe then entered the room "screaming and yelling." Officer O'Donnell entered and before O'Donnell spoke, Lowe picked up a chair and threw it at him. Meany went to O'Donnell's aid and Lowe was subdued. Meany observed McGhee push Thulis, several blows exchanged and Thulis and McGhee wrestling. Meany then went to Thulis' aid and hit McGhee in the head. McGhee was subdued and handcuffed again.

Officer O'Donnell testified that after he left the scene at 95th Street, he answered another call and arrived at the station approximately 15 minutes later. He walked into the interrogation room and observed McGhee, Thulis and Lowe arguing. Lowe turned around, said something, picked up a chair and hit him with it. Lowe and O'Donnell then began wrestling on the floor. O'Donnell testified that during the scuffle Lowe pulled O'Donnell's gun from its holster, and O'Donnell later found it lying on the floor. After O'Donnell subdued Lowe he told him he was under arrest. On cross-examination O'Donnell testified that he was not aware that his gun had been pulled out until another officer handed it to him after the scuffle. He admitted that in his written report he did not mention that Lowe had pulled his gun, and that the first time he made a written statement about the gun was after the Internal Investigation Division's investigation of the incident had commenced. O'Donnell did not see Lowe attempt to take his gun, but he testified that the gun cannot fall out of the holster, and that only he and Lowe were involved in the incident.

Officer Thulis testified that he drove McGhee's car to the station, parked it and walked into the interrogation room in which Meany and McGhee were seated. He walked to the front part of the station to pick up some forms. As he walked back into the room, he observed Lowe follow him. McGhee and Meany were seated and Meany was working on his ticket book. Lowe stated that "as long as you locked up my friend, you might as well lock me up." Thulis told Lowe that the room was for police business and that he had to leave. Lowe then became abusive and stated that he could stay because it was a public building. Voices began to rise and Thulis again ordered Lowe to leave and he again refused. O'Donnell then entered and Thulis next observed Lowe and O'Donnell wrestling. As Thulis turned to help O'Donnell, McGhee jumped up and pushed Thulis with his hands. Thulis reached behind him and grabbed his nightstick from a table, put one hand at each extremity and pushed it into McGhee's face, knocking his arms aside. Thulis dropped the club and he and McGhee fell to the ground. This struggle lasted 2 to 3 minutes, and three officers were required to subdue and handcuff McGhee.

On cross-examination defense counsel attempted to impeach Thulis by his testimony at the preliminary hearing. Thulis had previously testified that only McGhee was in the room when he arrived. He also previously testified that when O'Donnell entered the room, he left to obtain certain forms. On cross-examination Thulis stated that O'Donnell was struck by Lowe a minute or two after O'Donnell entered the room. He observed the first blow struck by Lowe, then he saw O'Donnell hit Lowe with his fist. McGhee pushed at Thulis with both hands, and then hit him with his right fist. In his previous testimony Thulis omitted any mention of his use of his club, and previously testified that McGhee threw three or four punches and kicked at him, and that Thulis knocked him to the ground and managed to handcuff him. Also at the preliminary hearing Thulis characterized the incident "as a little wrestling match."

Defendant McGhee testified in his own behalf that when Meany took him into the interrogation room, he asked to make a telephone call or speak to the sergeant or lieutenant in charge. Meany replied: "No, you can't do anything." Approximately 1 minute later Thulis entered and McGhee asked "You mean to tell me that I don't have the right to make one call?" Thulis said: "This is another one of those smart niggers. I'll take care of him," and thereupon Thulis hit him across the forehead and face with his nightstick. McGhee did not push or strike Thulis because he was still handcuffed. Lowe entered the room and stated: "You shouldn't be doing this." O'Donnell, who was standing near the door asked Lowe for his driver's license and Lowe complied with the request. O'Donnell threw it back to Lowe and the scuffle between Lowe and O'Donnell commenced. McGhee did not see Lowe pick up a chair, he did not see a chair thrown and he did not see Lowe strike O'Donnell. McGhee testified that he suffered a broken nose and that 7 stitches were required to close a wound in his head.

Defendant Lowe testified that he parked his car at the station and walked into the building. He walked back to a little room and observed Thulis strike McGhee two times with a club. McGhee was handcuffed. O'Donnell came over to Lowe and told him that it was none of his business and asked him for his license. Lowe produced it and O'Donnell threw it back at him. Lowe then stated: "You don't have to treat me like no dog. I'm coming here voluntary." Lowe picked up his license and threw it back at O'Donnell. O'Donnell then swung at Lowe and he and Lowe began to wrestle. When Lowe was subdued and handcuffed, Thulis stated: "You like to swing back," and proceeded to hit Lowe with his club. Lowe testified that he suffered a "hole" in his head and his hands and back were swollen. Lowe filed a complaint with the Internal Investigation Division, and photographs of his injuries were taken. After the scuffle O'Donnell told defendants to mop up the squad room; they were then taken to the hospital for treatment, and upon their return were placed in the lockup.

On cross-examination the prosecutor asked Lowe if he refused to be fingerprinted and to make a telephone call while in the lockup. Defense counsel objected to the question on the basis that this line of questioning was irrelevant to the charges against defendants. The trial court allowed the prosecutor to continue and Lowe admitted that he spoke with the watch commander while in the lockup, but he denied refusing to be fingerprinted and make phone calls. On redirect examination Lowe stated that the watch commander entered the lockup early in the morning after defendants returned from the hospital. At that time the watch commander requested that defendants be fingerprinted first, and then they could make phone calls.

The defense then rested, and, over defense counsel's objections, the prosecutor called rebuttal witnesses. James H. Williams, Jr. testified that he was the acting watch commander on May 30, 1970. He went on duty at 6:30 A.M., and shortly thereafter he was notified that defendants refused to cooperate and be fingerprinted, and he went to the lockup to speak with defendants. The prosecutor asked Williams his opinion as to their sobriety and he answered "They were uncooperative." He testified that McGhee looked like "he was under the influence of alochol or whatever." He asked defendants to cooperate and he gave them every opportunity to make phone calls. He asked them to be fingerprinted and they refused. He recalled that McGhee's face was swollen and that he had a bandage. He stated that McGhee did not ask ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.