Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

Estate of Liebling

JANUARY 6, 1970.




Appeal from the Circuit Court of Winnebago County, Seventeenth Judicial Circuit; the Hon. SEELY P. FORBES, Judge, presiding. Judgment affirmed.


Rehearing denied February 5, 1970.

The petitioner, Jeanne Gardner, filed a petition in June of 1968 praying that her father, Max Liebling, be declared incompetent and incapable of managing his estate and person, and asking that a conservator be appointed. After extended hearings, the trial court granted the petition and ordered the appointment of a conservator.

The respondent, Max Liebling, appealed from the order and alleges that it was contrary to the manifest weight of the evidence; that the trial court erred in calling Dr. Robert Henry, a psychiatrist, under Supreme Court Rule 215(d)(2), (Ill. Rev Stats 1967, c 110A, par 215(d)(2)), and in giving undue weight to his testimony; and that this proceeding was brought in bad faith.

In our opinion, the finding of the trial court was not contrary to the manifest weight of the evidence. Twelve witnesses — including three doctors, four nurses, employees, business associates, a lawyer, and a trust officer — testified at length on the issue of the competency of the respondent.

Dr. John Berry had treated the respondent since 1963, and had seen him on numerous occasions, including weekly visits during the early summer of 1968. He testified that he believed that the respondent had suffered a stroke during the year 1966, and several small strokes since. In April of 1968, during the absence of Dr. Berry from the city, the respondent suffered another stroke — a cerebral thrombosis. Upon his return, Dr. Berry treated the respondent in the hospital and released him to his home on April 20, 1968. The respondent had to be attended by nurses around the clock for approximately a two-month period following the hospitalization. Dr. Berry testified that the respondent was suffering from generalized arteriosclerosis and controlled diabetes.

The overall result of this illness, according to the testimony of Dr. Berry, would be a general slowing down of the respondent, with additional stresses during rather hot and cold weather, at which times he would be apt to be more forgetful. In answer to the question propounded on direct examination, of whether he thought the respondent was competent to manage his business and affairs, the witness answered that he thought the respondent was competent, but he didn't know much about his business and affairs.

Dr. Berry also testified that the respondent would probably again suffer a cerebral thrombosis; that excitement, worry and aggravation might be factors which could cause such an attack; and that there are certain periods of time when the respondent would be forgetful and that during these periods, which could occur frequently, the respondent would not be competent to manage his estate. At the time of his testimony in June of 1968, the witness was of the opinion that the respondent should have someone to care for him twenty-four hours a day; that he thought the respondent was competent when he examined him, but he added, ". . . I think he has lapses of memory, but as far as full competency is concerned, I don't know." In answer to a question from the court, the witness testified that he didn't think the respondent was able to handle his business in the same way that any reasonable, prudent man would handle his own business.

Dr. Perry A. Anderson testified at the hearings in both June and September of 1968. He stated that he cared for the respondent while he was Dr. Berry's patient in the month of April, 1968, from the time the respondent suffered his stroke until the time Dr. Berry returned to Rockford, and from July 1, until the time of his testimony in September, while Dr. Berry was out of the country. He testified that the cerebral thrombosis suffered by the respondent in April was a slight attack, and that the respondent experienced high blood pressure, general arteriosclerosis and diabetes. In June, he testified that it seemed possible that the respondent was capable of handling his business affairs, and he reaffirmed this opinion in his testimony in September.

Three of the four nurses who cared for the respondent around-the-clock at his home during April, May and June of 1968, testified that the respondent was not capable of handling his estate. Among their observations on which they based their opinion were the following: The respondent, shortly after his son, Alvin Liebling, would leave his house, would forget that Alvin had been there; that on occasions when he apparently knew he was in his home, he did not know where various rooms were; and that while riding in a car in an area not far from his home in Rockford, he thought he was in Beloit, Wisconsin. These witnesses testified generally that the respondent was confused and suffered substantial memory difficulties.

A trust officer, who had known the respondent for a number of years and had seen the respondent on two occasions during the months of May and June 1968, testified regarding the respondent's execution of certain documents on these two occasions, and his observations leading to the conclusion that the respondent was competent. The lawyer, who had prepared one of the documents — a trust agreement —, and was present with the respondent only in June of 1968 when the document was signed by the respondent, was also of the opinion that he was then competent, knew what he was doing, and was capable of managing his estate. However, all information with reference to the terms of the agreement had been furnished to the lawyer by Alvin Liebling, who told the lawyer that his father was suffering from a cardiac physical impairment. Neither the trust officer nor the lawyer had knowledge of the nature and extent of Max Liebling's illness.

In September, 1968, an accountant, who had worked for the respondent for approximately fifty years, testified as to her observations of the respondent over these years, including the recent months. Following the stroke in April, she had seen the respondent once in June and once in September and she was of the opinion that the respondent was capable of handling his ordinary business affairs. Thus, like the trust officer, she had seen the respondent only twice during this period.

One of the respondent's nurses testified that she was of the opinion that the respondent was competent. Unlike virtually every other witness — whether they were longtime business associates or nurses who had known the respondent only since April of 1968, all of whom had found the respondent to be a man of few words — she found the respondent a talkative person.

Another witness was a business acquaintance of the respondent who lived in Hinsdale, Illinois. He testified that he consulted with the respondent in regard to the construction of a motel which the respondent had previously undertaken; that he came to Rockford nearly every weekend during the two-year period commencing in July, 1966, and saw the respondent on virtually all of these trips and discussed the project with him; that the respondent took an active part in all of these ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.