Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

The People v. Nuccio





APPEAL from the Circuit Court of Cook County, the Hon. RICHARD J. FITZGERALD, Judge, presiding.


Defendant, Richard Nuccio, was found guilty of murder at the conclusion of a bench trial in the circuit court of Cook County and sentenced to 14-15 years imprisonment. He appeals directly here contending he was deprived of his constitutional right to confront the witnesses against him; that "the evidence did not justify the verdict"; that the court used a constitutionally impermissible standard in making its decision; and that improper prosecutorial questioning of defendant and his witnesses deprived him of a fair trial.

The testimony is voluminous and conflicting, with few matters undisputed. It is clear, however, that the event in question occurred on the night of June 4, 1968, in an alley near a large parking area opposite Wrigley Field in Chicago. This parking area was bounded on the north by Patterson Avenue, on the east by Clark Street, on the south by Addison Street, and on the west by an alley running diagonally north and south between Patterson Avenue and Addison Street. Near its mid-point this alley was intersected by an east-west alley, and the intersection of these two alleys was lighted by an overhead light attached to a pole. The Franksville Restaurant was located at the southwest corner of this parking area, and a Tastee-Freez Ice Cream stand was at the northeast end surrounded by parking area. Driveways led into the area from Patterson Avenue and from Clark and Addison Streets.

Ben Citron, owner of the Franksville Restaurant, called the police station on June 4 about 9:30 P.M. to report a "disturbance". Defendant Nuccio, then a Chicago police officer, was on duty with Patrolman Rothmund, and the two officers responded to the call in a marked squad car. Officers Hyatt and Sand arrived at the scene in an unmarked police car. This area had apparently been visited by decedent and a group of his friends with some degree of frequency. There had been prior disturbances involving police calls and arrests, and some members of the group, including decedent, had been ordered by the court to stay away from the property.

After Officers Nuccio and Rothmund parked their car in the parking area, the former went to a group of young people near the Tastee-Freez and the latter went to the Franksville area where he saw and talked to Ben Citron. Citron pointed to one Steve Austill walking towards Clark Street away from the restaurant and said, "There's one", or "there goes one of them". Then Citron pointed to Ronald Nelson, the 19-year-old decedent, who was sitting at a table on the patio outside the restaurant and said, "There's another one that shouldn't be here". Citron testified that he had seen Nelson sitting at the table playing with a knife. While Nelson had had no contact with Citron that evening, Citron was "scared" when he saw Nelson in possession of the knife and called the police because on a previous occasion Nelson had come into his store, created a disturbance and hit him. Officer Rothmund testified that he saw Nelson playing with a pocket knife while Nelson was sitting at the table and immediately before he jumped up and ran. Trena Ciabay, a 16-year-old high school senior, testified that she was present that evening and had been sitting at one of the tables with Nelson for about three minutes before the police arrived. She did not see anything in his hands nor did she see anything on the table. Leonard Noe, another State witness, also testified that he could see Nelson at the table and saw no knife.

After Citron pointed to Nelson and when Officer Rothmund turned toward him, Nelson got up and ran. Citron went back into his place of business. Officer Rothmund testified that he shouted to the other police officer to "grab that man and watch out, he has a knife" (or something similar), and then ran over to where Steve Austill was sitting on an "ad" bench at the corner of Clark and Addison at the southwest tip of the parking area and began to place Austill under arrest.

Officer Nuccio was searching one of the group, John Ahrens, for weapons when he heard Rothmund call from the area of the restaurant, "Stop him and watch out, he's got a knife". Both Officers Hyatt and Sand, the plain clothesmen who arrived in the second car, testified that they hear Rothmund yell, "Look out, he's got a knife".

John Ahrens testified that he heard a shout, "Stop him". Six other young persons, who were gathered near the Tastee-Freez and were near the defendant and Ahrens, testified that they heard a shout, "Stop him", or "Get him" coming from the area of the Franksville Restaurant. Only two of them were specifically asked whether they also heard "watch out, he's got a knife" and both of those asked responded they had not.

After hearing the shouted command, Officer Nuccio looked in the direction of the Franksville Restaurant and saw Nelson running in a northwesterly direction toward the juncture of the east-west and north-south alleys.

The testimony is again conflicting as to the defendant's subsequent conduct, although all the witnesses agreed that the defendant immediately ceased searching Ahrens and began to run toward Nelson.

Officer Hyatt had alighted from the unmarked police car he arrived in and was in the area of the parking lot between Franksville and the Tastee-Freez, walking toward the latter, when he heard Officer Rothmund yell. He turned and saw Nelson running from Franksville. He started running toward Nelson, first running somewhat southwesterly and then as Nelson ran northwest he followed him in this direction. As he was running toward the "T" in the alleys, he saw the defendant at a point 15-30 feet east of the "T" and running toward the east-west alley. Nelson was already in the east-west alley and running west on the north side. Officer Hyatt testified that as he and the defendant were entering the alley, he saw something that flashed in Nelson's hand and he presumed it to be a knife. As Nelson was running he looked over his right shoulder and twisted his shoulder to the right. At that time Officer Hyatt screamed, "Look out, he is going to throw the knife". The defendant fell to his knees and fired a shot. Nelson fell forward to the ground.

Officer Hyatt testified that he never drew his gun at any time, and the defendant pulled his out as he was dropping to the ground; that at the time defendant fired the knife was in the air. Officer Hyatt also testified he was slightly behind and to the left of defendant, and estimated that the decedent was approximately 20-25 feet ahead of defendant at the time of the shot. An opened knife, identified by this officer as the one Nelson had, was found in the alley.

Defendant testified that he saw Officer Hyatt trying to apprehend Nelson and defendant started running westerly toward the alley to cut Nelson off at the entrance to the alley; when Nelson reached the entrance to the alley, the defendant hollered at him to stop, but Nelson turned into the east-west alley and headed west. When Nelson was 40 feet into the alley, and the officers were 20 feet behind him, defendant saw Nelson look back at him, raise his right arm with a knife in his hand and heard Officer Hyatt scream, "Watch out, he's going to throw the knife". Defendant testified, "I dove to the ground and fired, it all happened instantly."

The State's witnesses gave a somewhat different description of the events and differed entirely from the police officers as to the presence of a knife. John Ahrens, whom the defendant had been searching when the shout was heard, testified that the defendant had taken only a few steps when he began to draw his gun. Edward Ryan and Jose Rodriguez, other young men who were near the Tastee-Freez and the spot where the defendant was searching Ahrens, gave similar testimony. Linda Young, who was sitting in a car parked southwest of the Tastee-Freez, testified defendant pulled his gun as he was running. Noel Kitchen, also standing in this area, testified that the defendant drew his gun right before he got to the alley.

Ahrens and Leonard Noe, another young man who was sitting at one of the tables outside Franksville, testified the defendant stopped about 15 feet east of the alley light located at the entrance to the east-west alley, aimed and fired a shot at Nelson. Jose Rodriquez estimated this distance at 30 feet; Edward Ryan at about 20 feet. The estimates given by the State's witnesses of the distance between the defendant and Nelson when the shot was fired ranged from 70 to 90 feet. None of the State's witnesses testified to having seen a knife or object in the hand of Nelson as he ran. Although some of the State's witnesses saw Nelson look over his shoulder or at least turn his head as he entered the east-west alley, none of them saw him turn or look back as he was running west down the alley.

The trial judge accepted the State's version of the distance between defendant and decedent at the time the shot was fired and found that distance to be 70-90 feet. The defendant's claim that the proof does not establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is, therefore, not sustainable for the testimony of the State's witnesses, if believed by the trier of fact, is sufficient to justify the verdict. Ill. Rev. Stat. 1967, ch. 38, par. 7-5.

The argument that defendant was deprived of the opportunity to confront the witnesses against him is interwoven with the argument that improper prosecutorial questioning of defendant and his witnesses deprived him of a fair trial. Both arguments are predicated upon a persistent course of cross-examination by which the State repeatedly insinuated, generally without any supporting testimony, that defendant and his witnesses had engaged in a pattern of reprehensible conduct in their relationships to the youths who frequented Franksville. The impact of the State's unsupported insinuations can only be made clear here by a rather lengthy cataloguing of relevant examples, for it is the totality of the impact which compels our conclusion that the defendant's right to a fair trial, with the attendant's right to cross-examine witnesses against him, was denied.

The impropriety of the cross-examination does not rest simply upon unsupported insinuations of misconduct, but also upon the State's failure to present appropriate rebuttal testimony in response to the defense witnesses' specific denials of misconduct. A fair portrayal of the circumstances requires summarization of the testimony of the two witnesses who did testify to prior misconduct of defendant.

Stephen Austill, while testifying as a State's witness, stated he had been at the police station in February, 1968, when decedent was in custody and that defendant had asked Nelson about his girlfriend, stating that he [defendant] had been making love to her. Defendant allegedly stuck his gun to Nelson's head and asked him if he wanted to play Russian roulettee, and ran his [defendant's] knife down decedent's arm, stating that decedent deserved to die and that defendant was going to get him personally. Austill testified that on an earlier occasion, when he had gone to the station while decedent was in custody, "to try and see what I could do for him," defendant stated to the witness, "I'm going to kill you and your punk friend."

On cross-examination Austill testified that the decedent was his best friend. He admitted that he had been arrested in connection with the crimes of shoplifting, car theft, disorderly conduct and possession of marijuana. He admitted that on one occasion when decedent was in police custody, Austill falsely claimed to have access to information on narcotics sales, which he offered to provide in exchange for decedent's release, and that after the release he failed to provide any information.

Another State's witness, Noel Kitchen, testified that on one occasion at Franksville, defendant had "said he would take his badge off any time that I thought that I could do something about it." The following statement was then read to Kitchen, who reluctantly acknowledged having made it on June 5, 1968:

"Q. Did you ever have any contact with Officer Nuccio in the past?

A. Yes, one time I was sitting in front of Franksville, Officer Nuccio came up and grabbed me for no reason at all, he told he me he was going to beat the crap out of me if I didn't get out of there. At that time I told him that if he didn't have his badge on, I would fight him."

Thereafter another portion of the same statement was read: "He said, I don't have my badge on and he pulled out his blackjack, at this time Officer Nuccio had his cousin with him and I got into a fight with the cousin but Nuccio didn't participate. Another time Officer Nuccio searched my car, this was about a month ago." Kitchen testified that the alleged altercation had taken place about a year before Nelson's death, but also stated that he had seen defendant on other occasions since the summer of 1967, both on duty and off duty, pull out a gun and a blackjack while at Franksville, often to disperse a crowd of youths. Kitchen also admitted that some weeks prior to the shooting, the owner of Franksville had told him to leave the premises.

Aside from this testimony by Austill and Kitchen, no State witness supported the insinuations of misconduct which were levelled at defendant and other defense witnesses during the State's cross-examination. We turn now to the State's unsupported insinuations of a general pattern of misconduct on the part of defendant and the two main defense witnesses, Officers Kenneth South and Michael Nuccio (unrelated to defendant).

There were three basic inferences which would naturally arise from the State's insinuations: 1) that the State was prepared to show by rebuttal testimony that defendant and his witnesses often intimidated and chastised the youths who congregated at Franksville, and that the defendant may therefore have been pursuing a general pattern of indiscriminate abuse when he shot Ronald Nelson; 2) that the State would show in rebuttal that the defense witnesses, and defendant in particular, had in fact been promiscuously involved with the girls who congregated at Franksville, particularly with Ronald Nelson's girlfriend, and that therefore defendant may have had a specific motive for killing Nelson; and 3) that the State would show in rebuttal that the defendant and his witnesses had been guilty of perjury in the prosecution of a Franksville youth and had intimidated prospective State's witnesses in the instant case.

The following illustrations are taken from the State's cross-examination of the designated defense witnesses:


"Q. Isn't it a fact you challenged Mr. Keating to a fight?

A. No, I did not.

Q. Didn't you challenge him to come around in the back and `Let's have it out'?

A. No, I did not."


"Q. Did you ever take Ronald Nelson, alone with Officer Nuccio, down to Lake Michigan and take his shoes off?

A. No.

Q. Did you ever leave Ronald Nelson down at Lake Michigan without any shoes and have him walk home?

A. No, I didn't."


"Q. Do you recall the day after St. Patrick's Day, 1968, were you working?

A. I don't remember, sir.

Q. Do you remember firing at a person by the name of Steven Weinstein and Mr. Darryl on Clyborne Avenue?

A. No, sir.

Q. You never took out your gun on the evening?

A. I didn't say that, sir.

Q. Did you take out your gun that evening?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did you fire it?

A. No, sir.

Q. Do you recall ever threatening Mr. Nelson's life in the presence of a Norman Suderski?

A. No, sir.

Q. Do you recall ever telling John Ahrens, in the presence of Mr. Nelson, that you were going to blow Ronald Nelson's brains out and you were going to blow John Ahrens' brains out?

A. Absolutely not, sir.

Q. Do you recall or do you know a person by the name of Fillipp?

A. What is the name again, sir?

Q. Fillipp, do you know somebody by the name of Fillipp?

A. I believe that is somebody's first name, but I wish you would give me the last name.

Q. How about Stephan Fillipp, F-I-L-L-I-P-P, he lives at 3843 North Hoyne, do you know him?

A. I don't recall, sir.

Q. Haven't you arrested him in the past?

Mr. Echeles: What is the name?

Mr. Tully: Stephan Fillipp, F-I-L-L-I-P-P.

A. I don't recall if I had or not.

Q. Did you ever recall talking to Mr. Nelson and Mr. Fillipp in which you told both of these men that they usually end up with your head being blown off?

A. No, sir. I don't think I even know a Mr. Fillipp.

Q. Okay. Do you recall ever telling Mr. Nelson that if he reported any of this to the I.I.D. —

Mr. Echeles: Object, your Honor, to the preface of his ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.