Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

People v. Johnson

MAY 19, 1969.




Appeal from the Circuit Court of Cook County; the Hon. JAMES J. MEJDA, Judge, presiding. Affirmed.


The defendant, Louis Johnson, was charged with the crime of unlawful sale of a narcotic drug in violation of section 22-3 of the Criminal Code (Ill Rev Stats 1967, c 38, § 22-3). After a jury trial, he was found guilty and was sentenced to a term of not less than ten years nor more than thirteen years in the penitentiary.

The defendant contends, on appeal, that "he was denied due process of law when the court did not require the State to produce the real name of the alleged informer prior to trial and denied defense counsel's motion for a continuance."

The record shows that a public defender was appointed to represent the defendant in December, 1966. This same public defender continued to represent the defendant throughout the subsequent proceedings. On January 20, 1967, and again on March 1, 1967, the defendant answered ready for trial. When the case was called on March 7, the defense counsel orally moved that the State produce the informer who allegedly participated in the controlled sale implicating the defendant. The prosecutor stated that the informer had died, whereupon the public defender asked for proof of death and proof that the deceased was in fact the informer. The court directed the State to disclose the name and last known address of the informer. The prosecutor said that the informer was Lulu Reed, but the public defender stated that she was also known by another name. *fn1

When the case was called for trial on April 6, 1967, the defense answered ready for trial. The court inquired whether there were any motions to be decided and the prosecutor stated he did not think that any had been filed. The public defender said there were no motions to be filed and that any that had been filed had been decided. The cause was continued on the State's motion. The case was again called for trial on April 13. Both sides answered ready and when the court inquired whether there were any motions the public defender answered that they had all been taken care of earlier.

The case was called for trial again on April 14, 1967. The public defender informed the court that he thought that his motion requesting the true name of the informer had been denied, but that upon examining the record he found that the court had ordered the State to furnish him with the name and address of the informer. He stated that the State had not complied with the court's order and he requested compliance. On April 19, the public defender answered ready for trial. When he again requested the real name of the informer and the proper address the court commented that he inconsistently answered ready for trial and at the same time requested information about the alleged informer. Counsel replied "Judge, we are ready, and if we got the name now, that's fine. We are still ready. I don't believe giving the name or not giving the name has any affect on our ability to be ready for trial." On motion of the State the cause was continued to April 25, and the court ordered the State to furnish the defendant whatever information was in their files.

On the afternoon of April 25, both parties answered ready for trial and a jury was selected. Thereafter, in a chamber session, the public defender moved to exclude all witnesses from the courtroom. This motion was agreed to by the State. The State moved to nolle Count II of the indictment and the motion was allowed. The prosecutor then stated that the real name of the informer was Margaret O'Neal, that she was dead, and that her last known address was 5002 South Forrestville. The public defender requested a two week continuance "for the purpose of checking with the coroner's office to see if this person has existed, to see if this person died." Counsel also said the defense would need more time "so we could make an investigation as to who this informer was, if she was ever an informer. We have no way of checking this without some time." The court denied the motion for a continuance.

The record of the trial reveals that Officer Curtis H. Jackson and his partner, Officer Joseph Volpentesta, saw Lulu Reed, a special police employee, about 8:30 p.m. on August 26, 1966. Officer Jackson testified that Miss Reed did not have a handbag. He searched her coat which had two side slash pockets and observed that she put the $13.00 of marked money in her right hand side pocket of her coat and then drove her to the 4300 block of Prairie Avenue. There the police officer observed her talking to the defendant, Louis Johnson. Miss Reed then walked a short distance with the defendant and stood on a corner while the defendant walked through an alley. When the defendant returned, the officers saw her take the money out of her right hand coat pocket and give it to the defendant. At that point the defendant left and Miss Reed returned to the car. They searched her again and found that the marked money was no longer in her possession. On the following day the officers again searched the informer and at 8:30 p.m. returned to the same area. Miss Reed met the defendant and talked with him for a while. The police officers observed the hands of Miss Reed and the defendant meet. Miss Reed then returned to the car and gave the officers a tinfoil package. The police drove up to the defendant, ran towards him, and though they saw him put a shiny object in his mouth they were unable to prevent him from swallowing it. At the police station they made a field test on the contents of the packet the informer had given them. The reaction was purple — positive. Officer Jackson then took the tinfoil packet to the crime laboratory. He further testified that Lulu Reed was also known as Margaret O'Neal and that she was now deceased. He produced a death certificate which was subsequently received in evidence. It showed that Margaret R. O'Neal died on February 8, 1967, that her residence at the time of her death was 5002 South Forrestville, in Chicago, that she was black, and that she was divorced.

On cross-examination, Officer Jackson testified that he had received the death certificate the day before trial. At this point the public defender requested leave to have the death certificate overnight. Leave was granted by the court. The public defender then asked Officer Jackson whether the informer was married and an objection was raised and sustained. In chambers the public defender argued that conflicting statements had been made by the prosecutor in that the prosecutor had stated that the informer's husband had also been an informer and the death certificate showed that the deceased had been divorced. On further cross-examination the public defender then asked:

"Q. Where was Lulu Reed living on October 26, 1966?

"A. At 4253 South Prairie. I am sorry, no, she moved from there. I think she was staying at 50th and Forrestville then.

"Q. Who did she live there with?

"A. I don't know.

"Q. What name did she use there, if ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.